How to Apply
Fill out the International Programs Application Form
Print it out and mail or email it to us at:
University of California San Diego
Division of Extended Studies International Programs
9600 N. Torrey Pines Road, Bldg. E
La Jolla, CA 92037-1100
Fax: +1 (858) 534-5703
Email email@example.com to ask for a copy of our brochure and application form to be sent to you.
Submit the Academic Verification Form. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for ay questions.
Paying an application fee does not guarantee admission or conditional admission to any program.Your acceptance to a program depends on the space available in the program, your qualifications for admission to the program, and the time we have available to process your application and issue your acceptance materials. For more information about application fees, please contact email@example.com.
When to Apply
It is best to apply 12-16 weeks before the program start-date to allow enough time for us to process your application and for you to make your visa and travel arrangements. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date. Acceptance means that the application has been received, the application fee has been paid, and the student has received their acceptance letter.
Please do not arrange student visa interviews, housing, and flights until you have received an official letter of acceptance and/or received your I-20.
Certificates with the UC San Diego university seal are awarded upon successful completion of your programs. Excellent attendance is an important part of certificate eligibility in all programs.
View a complete list of all program dates.
We must receive all required fees and tuition in our office 30 days before the published program start-date. Summer Session payments are due at the time of application. Accepted methods of payment: Credit card (VISA/Master Card/AMEX/JCB/Discover and Diner's Club), traveler's checks (in person only - do not mail traveler's checks), personal check (only drawn on U.S. bank), money order or cashier's check (drawn in U.S. currency on a U.S. bank), bank wire (please see directions, below), or cash (in person only - do not mail cash). We cannot accept Euro checks or electronic transfers (ACH).
Credit Card Information:
Please use the IP Online Payment Portal for credit/debit card payments.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT email credit/debit card information to UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies, International Programs.
Step #1: Submit a complete application to the IP Admission department by mail, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or fax +1(858) 534-5703.
Step #2: The IP Admission department will created the PID # (Student ID #) and email the following information to you:
Link to IP Online Payment Portal with instruction
PID # (Student ID #)
Amount to be charged in USD
Step #3: Click on the link provided by the IP Admission department to enter the required information. Click on the submit button.
Step #4: Once the IP Admission department receives the payment alert, the application will be processed for admission.
UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies International Programs works with Western Union Business Solutions to provide international students with a low-cost option for paying their student invoice in their home currency. Western Union Business Solutions offers a competitive rate of exchange for processing payments in many international currencies. It allows students, their families, or sponsors the opportunity to securely send bank-to-bank transfers for payment of tuition and fees in their home currency.
How to pay your invoice using Western Union Business Solutions:
For an individual payment:
- Open this UC San Diego Western Union webpage to make an individual payment: https://student.globalpay.wu.com/geo-buyer/ucsdextension
- Select the language
- Select the Country
- Enter all student details (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
For a group payment:
- Open this UC San Diego Western Union webpage if you are a partner sending a payment for a group of students: https://student.globalpay.wu.com/geo-buyer/ucsdextgroup
- Select the language
- Select the Country
- Enter Group Name (the Group Name could be the name of the University or agency the students are being referred by)
- Enter Last Name, First Name (as shown on their passport) for all students in the “For group payments” field (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
For all payments you must remember to:
- Enter the total amount you wish to pay on your student invoice(s).
- Select payment currency
- If your local currency is not an option available on the form, then you need to choose another currency on the list (e.g., United States Dollar - USD) in order to complete the form. You will need to purchase the selected form of currency from your bank prior to making the wire transfer through Western Union.
- Select “Who is Paying”
- Enter the name of the bank where the payment will be made from
- Print the Payment Instructions and contact your bank or financial institution (online, phone, or in-person)
- Please initiate your payment as soon as possible
- To ensure that your funds are successfully received by UC San Diego, the reference transaction ID number must be included on your bank’s payment instructions. If this reference is missing the payment will not be credited to your account.
- After you complete the transfer, Western Union will forward the US dollar amount to UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies International Programs where it will be credited to your student account(s).
If you have any questions regarding Western Union Business Solutions, you may contact them directly at email@example.com.
For questions about your UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies International Programs invoice, you may contact our Lead Financial Advisor, Stacy Warneke, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It takes 10-15 days for money sent by bank wire to be posted to a student's account, and payments made by credit card are sometimes delayed because of credit card limits. Due to these delays, we strongly recommend that students or their agents complete payment of all tuition and fees at least 45 days before their published program start-date to ensure timely receipt and recording of payment and to avoid delays in allowing the student to begin his or her program. Note: Please do not send payment until you have received an official acceptance letter, the I-20 (if required), AND an invoice from our Financial Coordinator.
Note: If sending a bank wire, please remember to immediately send all bank wire information to email@example.com so that we can identify payment at the campus bank wire office and credit the student's account before the program begins.
UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance is MANDATORY for all students. The cost for UC San Diego Medical Insurance will be:
- 2-week programs: $90
- 3-week programs: $135
- 4-week programs: $180
- 5-week Summer University Program: $270
- 8-week ELI: $450
- Certificate Programs - 1 quarter: $585
- Certificate Programs - 2 quarters: $1,170
- Certificate Programs - 3 quarters: $1,800
UC San Diego Medical Insurance Coverage:
- Unlimited coverage for medically necessary health care, including pre-existing conditions and mental health care
- Unlimited coverage for medical evacuation
- Unlimited coverage for repatriation of remains
- 100% coverage for all medical care after the $100 USD deductible per person, per policy year
- 100% coverage for prescription drugs after payment of the required co-payments for each prescription. Co-payments are from $10 to $50 per prescription.
The UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance policy for international students covers hospitalization and other medical expenses, with some exceptions, but not dental or eye care. Medical insurance is non-refundable. For information on this requirement, contact our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: In December there is a gap in insurance coverage between academic quarters. UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance coverage ends one week after each quarter’s end date. In December, there is a period when you will have no insurance coverage unless you purchase additional coverage. If you are a 8-week ESL or UPS student continuing from fall to winter quarter, you must purchase extra UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance for the gap weeks between your fall and winter programs. You must pay for this insurance during the scheduled continuing registration times at the end of the quarter.
TB Assessment and Immunization Form
A Tuberculosis (TB) Assessment and proof of immunizations against common diseases are required by UC San Diego for international students who will participate in our international programs. The Student Health and Welfare Advisor will send instructions and details to each student, after the student is accepted into his/her program. Questions? Please email email@example.com.