This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this certificate?
The Business Management program offers you the opportunity to build job skills and knowledge or to prepare for graduate studies through an extensive introduction to U.S. business practices. In the second quarter, you choose to specialize in one of the following areas: Finance, Digital Marketing, or Leadership. Potential to participate in a voluntary internship with a local San Diego company for hands-on experience.
- Develop solid business management skills with specialization in a field of your choice.
- Learn resume writing and interviewing skills; receive a professional resume critique.
- Complement your studies and build your professional contacts by completing an optional unpaid internship at a reputable company.
- Study alongside American students in evening classes (during the second and/or third quarters) to further enhance your network.
- After two quarters, receive a Professional Certificate in Business Management with a specialization in Finance, Digital Marketing, or Leadership.
- Apply for Optional Practical Training after three consecutive quarters of study.
Business Management Overview
- Elements of Marketing
- Financial Accounting for Non-Accountants (FAFNA)
- Organizational Behavior
- Directed Studies–Internship Preparation
Required courses and internship experience:
- Business Decision-Making
- 120 hours of Internship (optional)
- 3 courses in the area of emphasis (Finance, Digital Marketing, or Leadership)
- Capstone project or class in area of specialization
- Elective courses (9 units)
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. Check out the Business Management course descriptions.
- January 3 - June 10 - CLOSED
- March 22 - September 3
- June 21 - December 10
- September 14 - March 25, 2023
- January 3 - September 3 - CLOSED
- March 22 - December 10
- June 21 - March 25, 2023
- September 14 - June 16, 2023
View a complete list of all program dates.
The minimum requirements to be accepted in the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Additional Admission Requirements
- Your official university transcripts in English indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- You must have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree OR have four years of professional, full-time, work experience.
- If you have pursued graduate-level coursework or degrees, you must include those transcripts as well.
- One year of full-time, post-university, professional work experience, if also applying with a degree.
- No degree required if the applicant has four years of full-time work experience.
- Dated and signed letter of recommendation on academic or company letterhead from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field
- Résumé or curriculum vitae (CV)
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- A spoken language phone screening may be required. This can be conducted in person if you are already in San Diego; otherwise, it will be done by phone or Skype.
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Business Management Certificate.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near to campus. Access to a car or another reliable source of transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- Two-Quarter Tuition: $12,050
- Three-Quarter Tuition: $18,050
- International Student Service Fee: $760 (2 quarters) or $1,140 (3 quarters)
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $1,170 (2 quarters) or $1,800 (3 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter
(Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. You must purchase your books upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all business and management certificates and programs, please visit our Certificate Programs page.