Learn about EMC and EMI
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) is the capability for multiple, diverse systems to operate in close proximity without causing or being subject to interference which can cause damaging effects to other technologies.
Participants in this course will obtain basic understanding of electromagnetic compatibility and interference (EMI) concepts as well as design skills to measure them. Students will be introduced to different EMC regulations, standards, and requirements. Intro to EMC & EMI provides practical techniques and simulation models for estimating electromagnetic emissions from electrical and electronic devices, and typical susceptibility levels of devices. The students will receive training necessary to construct mathematical models for specific problems, learn about characteristics such as attenuation and frequency response, typical coupling, and propagation paths.
Hands-on experience is offered through simulation assignments using PSPICE (free version) and MATLAB (student version).
- Introduction to EMC
- EMC Requirements
- Review of Wave Propagation, Signal Spectra, Transmission Lines and Signal Integrity
- Non-Ideal Behaviour
- Radiation and Transmit Immunity
- Radiated Emissions and Susceptibility
- Cabling, Grounding, Filtering and Shielding
- Comprehend electromagnetic interference and compatibility analysis
- Identify EMC standards and requirements.
- Learn about and practice attenuation and frequency response of typical coupling and propagation paths.
- Operate tools and apply simulation methods for modeling EMC problems.
- Estimate emissions and measure device susceptibility.
Course Typically Offered: On-line, Every Winter and Summer quarter
Prerequisites: Students should have basic electrical engineering, circuits, and math knowledge.
Next Step: After completing this course, consider taking CSE-41359 Information Security Management to continue learning.
More information: Contact email@example.com to learn more about
Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Interference (EMI) and course offerings.
Course Number: EE-40194
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
9/20/2022 - 11/19/2022