TEFL Proficiency Program
Who should take this program?
The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Proficiency program is a 15-unit program that is designed to provide a strong foundation in TEFL and build confidence, skills, and knowledge to become a prepared language instructor. This program is just one quarter long, which is 3 months or 10 weeks of study. You will have a combination of required and elective courses with the flexibility to choose course topics that are interesting to you.
What this program includes:
There are 3-4 required (9-12 units) courses. Required courses vary depending on the quarter you complete the program. These courses include:
- Theories & Methods of Language Teaching & Learning (3 units) or
Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I or II (3 units)
- One or more skills-based course to focus on teaching a specific skills area like reading, writing, speaking, listening, or pronunciation. This course will vary depending on course availability each quarter.
Plus 3-6 units (about 1-2 classes) of electives: you can choose any classes that are available when you take the program. You can choose more skills-based classes that are available or other elective classes:
- TEFL Practicum: Best Methods in Developing and Delivering Lesson Plans (3 units) -strongly recommended
- TEYL Classroom Management (3 units)
- Teaching English to the Intermediate Young Learner (ages 8-11) (3 units)
- Teaching Young English Learners in the Primary Grades (ages 4-7) (3 units)
- January 4 - March 17
- April 5 - June 16
- July 5 - September 15 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 15
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Proficiency program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the TEFL Proficiency Program.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $225 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $6,000
- International Student Service Fee: $400
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $715
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 USD discount on your tuition for the TEFL Proficiency program.
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all programs, please visit our Courses and Programs page.