Specialization in Teaching English to the Young Learner
Who should take this program?
The Specialization in Teaching English to the Young Learner (TEYL) will assist you in attaining additional competencies in teaching the English language to students ages 4-12 years old. If you are already enrolled in the full-time Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional Certificate program or plan to study in TEFL programs for 6 months (2 quarters) or more, then we encourage you to add this specialization to your studies. The TEYL specialization cannot be taken alone and must be paired with one of our other TEFL programs.
This specialization includes 3 required courses (3 units each) and 3 units of electives for a total of 12 units or 120 hours. The required courses are not all offered in one quarter. It may take up to three quarters to complete this specialization, and you will need to pay for additional units that are not included within your full-time program.
What this program includes
Three required core courses:
- TEYL Classroom Management (3 units)
- Teaching Young English Learners in Primary Grades (Ages 4-7) (3 units)
- Teaching English to Intermediate Young Learners (Ages 8-11) (3 units)
You must choose an additional 3 units from the available electives each quarter.
- March 29 - June 10
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 9
- January 4 - March 17
- April 5 - June 16
- July 5 - September 15 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 15
View a complete list of all program dates.
Enrollment in the TEYL specialization is only available to those who are already enrolled in another full-time TEFL program. Students can only complete the TEYL specialization if they will study in TEFL programs for 6 months or more. Please view the full-time program webpages for admission requirements.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Other Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the specialization in Teaching English to the Young Learner (TEYL).
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- TEYL Program Fee: $95 (non-refundable)
- It is possible to take some of the TEYL classes as part of your full-time TEFL Program. Additional classes cost $500 each. The Program Advisor will assist you with creating an academic plan during the program orientation.
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of the TEFL programs, please visit our Certificate Programs page.