Leadership and Management
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop your leadership skills and improve your ability to influence others in the workplace, the Leadership and Management Certificate may be right for you. Designed for professionals with a university degree or at least three years of work experience, this program presents opportunities gain effective management skills. Learn how to build and lead teams, communicate your ideas persuasively, and effectively manage projects within a group. Pair the 3-month Leadership and Management program with other Business certificates for a total of 9 months to take advantage of Optional Practical Training.
- Develop the leadership, management, communication, and team-building skills needed to be a successful business leader.
- Courses are led by practicing industry experts
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network
- Schedules are designed to give you the freedom to explore California and the opportunity to attend local professional networking events
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study (9 months)
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
Leadership and Management Program Overview
- Managing for Maximum Performance
- Business Communication Skills
- Work Team Concepts
- International Business Project
Other Related-Courses (if substitution is needed):
- Organizational Behavior
- Transformational Leadership
- Business Decision Making
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. Check out the Leadership and Management course descriptions.
- January 3 - March 19 - CLOSED
- March 22 - June 10
- June 21 - September 3
- September 14 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
The minimum requirements to be accepted into the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Additional Admission Requirements
- University degree or two years of professional work experience
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on academic or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- A spoken language screening may be required for students applying to all business certificate programs.
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Leadership and Management program.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $6,050
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all business and management certificates and programs, please visit our Certificate Programs page.