This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this certificate?
If you would like to learn the nuances of project management and process improvement from a global perspective, Project Management may be right for you. You will acquire the skills to plan, execute, and complete complex projects within various types of organizations and industries. You will also have the opportunity to apply new tools and methodologies in both comprehensive real-world and simulated hands-on projects. With this powerful professional certificate, you will gain the skills to manage successful, efficient, and high-quality projects as well as have the option to complete the educational requirements for the Project Management Institute's PMP or CAPM Certification exams. This intensive certificate can be completed in just two quarters and is designed for working professionals.
- Develop highly marketable competencies in project management
- Build strong interpersonal skills critical to conducting work in a team environment; enhance abilities to manage conflicts and address challenging situations.
- Study with American and international students, building your professional network.
- Fulfills the necessary education hours required to apply for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) exam or PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam.
- Take this alone or in sequence with another business program; apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after three consecutive quarters of study.
Project Management Overview
- Project Management Essentials
- Work Team Concepts and Skills
- Agile Power Practices
- Transformational Leadership
- Project Planning and Scheduling
- Project Cost Management
- Leading and Managing Change
- Interest-Based Negotiations
Please note: courses are subject to change. Check out the Project Management course descriptions.
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- For an additional fee of $3,000 USD, add the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate to your Project Management Certificate. The Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course fulfills the American Society for Quality's education requirements needed to prepare for the Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSBB) exam.
- March 22 - September 3
- September 14 - March 25, 2023
Students may begin this full-time program in spring (March) or fall (September) quarters only. There is no entry to the program in winter (January) or summer (June). View a complete list of all program dates.
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
You will find the minimum acceptance requirements for the Project Management Certificate below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Additional Admission Requirements
- University study: successful completion of a three or four-year university degree. This requirement can only be waived for students with four or more years of full-time professional work experience.
- Work experience: A minimum of one year of full-time, post-university, professional work experience. Internships are acceptable.
- Official final university transcripts in English indicating a strong academic history; include grading key. If you have pursued graduate-level coursework or degrees, you must include those transcripts as well.
- Dated and signed letter of recommendation on academic or company letterhead from a professor or supervisor.
- Résumé or CV
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- You should have a strong working knowledge of the following Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A spoken language phone screening may be required (this can be conducted in person if you are already in San Diego; otherwise it will be done electronically by phone, Skype, etc.).
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Project Management Certificate.
Interested in OPT?
Apply for both the Project Management Certificate and a one-quarter business certificate (Business Intelligence Analysis, Digital Marketing, or Leadership and Management) when completing application materials. The Business Admissions advisor will work one-on-one with you to determine your third-quarter option.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 2022 Tuition: $12,050
- (Optional) Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate: $3,000
- International Student Service Fee: $760 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $1,170 (2 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased at UC San Diego upon arrival.)
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all business and management certificates and programs, please visit our Certificate Programs page.