Advanced Studies in TEFL
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to choose your own schedule of classes from Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and other academic areas, Advanced Studies in TEFL may be right for you. Advanced Studies in TEFL is a full-time three-month program of select courses to enhance your preparation and expertise in teaching English. You must enroll in a total of 12 UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies units, with the advice and approval of the TEFL Program Manager.
What this program includes
Although you can build any schedule you want from our course offerings (totaling 12 units), some of our most popular classes are:
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure (3 units)
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure II (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening Skills (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking Skills (3 units)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Introduction to Pronunciation & Fluency for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Teaching Young English Learners in the Primary Grades (ages 4-7)
- Teaching English to the Intermediate Young Learner (ages 8-11)
- January 4 - March 18 - CLOSED
- March 29 - June 10
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find a list of the minimum requirements for acceptance. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Special Studies in TEFL program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or 8
Other Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Advanced Studies in TEFL.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $4,800
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 discount on your tuition for the Advanced Studies in TEFL program.
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of the TEFL programs, please visit our Certificate Programs page.