TEFL Professional Certificate
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop modern English language teaching techniques to teach English in non-English speaking countries and in U.S. classrooms, enroll in the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional Certificate program. The TEFL Professional Certificate program opens doors to job opportunities both abroad and in the U.S. Learn best practices and methodology for teaching EFL students from our dynamic instructors who have years of experience teaching all over the world.
The TEFL Professional Certificate can be completed in two ways:
1. TEFL Professional Certificate:
Take 6 months of full-time TEFL classes at UC San Diego.
The 2022 TEFL Professional Certificate dates:
- January 4 - June 10 - CLOSED
- March 29 - September 16
- July 5 - December 9 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - March 17, 2023
2. TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid):
Take 3 months of full-time in-person TEFL classes at UC San Diego during the winter or summer quarters. Complete the remaining classes (4) online from your home country, according to your schedule. Online classes can be taken before or after you begin your in-person classes.
On-campus courses for the 2022 TEFL Professional Certificate Hybrid are offered:
- January 4 - March 18 - CLOSED
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
What this program includes
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening Skills (3 units)*
- Best Methods in Teaching Pronunciation and Fluency (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking Skills (3 units)
- Teaching Writing for Academic and Professional Purposes (3 units)*
- Theories and Methods of Language Teaching and Learning (3 units)*
- Theory and Methods of Reading Instruction (3 units)*
In addition, we offer a variety of one-unit workshops and three-unit elective courses. You will need to choose 3 units of electives, depending on what is offered each quarter. Some examples are:
- TEFL Practicum: Best Methods in Developing and Delivering Lesson Plans (3 units) -strongly recommended
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure II (3 units)
- Games for the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Grammar and Editing I or II (3 units)
- Teaching English to the Intermediate Young Learner (ages 8-11)
- Teaching Language Through Art (1 unit)
- Teaching TOEFL Prep Classes (1 unit)
- Teaching Young English Learners in the Primary Grades (ages 4-7)
Courses marked with an asterisk (*) are available online as part of the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid). Enroll in the four required online classes on the main Extension web page. You can then join the online classes from your home country, according to your schedule.
To maximize your TEFL training, you can add a specialization to the TEFL Professional program for an additional cost. View more information about the two specialization options we offer by clicking below. Students who successfully complete all the required courses for the specialization will receive an additional “award of completion” (certificate).
Below, please find the minimum requirements for acceptance to this program. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Certificate program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
- ELI level: 7 or higher
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the TEFL Professional Certificate.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 6-month TEFL Tuition: $8,350
- TEFL Hybrid Tuition (excluding online courses): $4,800
- TEFL Hybrid online Tuition: $450 per class
- International Student Service Fee: $380 per quarter
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $585 per quarter
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter. (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Discount on the 6-month and Hybrid formats:
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will receive a $500 discount on your tuition for the six-month TEFL Professional Certificate. If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program to the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid), you will receive a $250 discount on the tuition of the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid format).
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all programs, please visit our Courses and Programs page.