Host Family - Rent a Room
UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies International Programs does not place students in homestays. Please contact one of our partners directly to make homestay arrangements:
Please apply to only one homestay agency for your housing.
Note: All fees must be paid directly to the company (not UC San Diego). If you would like to transfer from or to the San Diego International Airport, please inquire with the company when you book your accommodation.
- Some companies offer airport pick-up and drop-off services (San Diego airport only).
- You may rent a room that includes two meals a day (breakfast and dinner), or you may rent a room with no meals included.
- Clean sheets and towels are provided for you.
- Some homestays provide laundry facilities, either coin-operated or for free, depending on the type of homestay (house, building, etc.).
- Nightly rates are offered.
Things to Consider
- There are many different kinds of hosts. Your host could be a single person, a person with children, a couple, a family, etc.
- Some hosts are native English speakers, and others see hosting as a student renting a room from them (without a lot of shared activity or communication between host and student).
- If you have a specific preference for the type of host you want, please communicate this with the company when you apply.
- You must live within the rules and lifestyle set by your host.
- COVID-19 guidelines depend on the hosts' wishes.
- The average commute by bus is 45 minutes (maximum 60 minutes door-to-door).
- Internet access is available, but you will need to use your own computer.
You may request early/late check-in, which may require additional payment for the extra nights. All fees are paid directly to the homestay agency, not to UC San Diego.