Learn how modern Procurement and Logistics organizations take advantage of digital tools to streamline the supply chain, mitigate risk and deliver more value to end users. Understand the fundamentals of purchasing, plans/strategies, forecasting, pros/cons of different organization structures, supplier relationship management, and more. Also, gain initial insight to the complex, global logistics ecosystem that keeps economies moving today. Students will learn the basics of international production, import, and inventory methodologies. Participants will gain an understanding of best practices in negotiation and contracting. Equip yourself to effectively manage the inevitable challenges in today’s international supply chain.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Differentiate and select from a variety of contract types to fit their particular needs
- Discuss the most common supply chain functions and explain how they come together to serve the customer
- Determine an optimal supplier mix and contracting method based on best overall value for a particular category
- Apply and recognize common negotiation practices
- Manage contracts effectively through implementation, maintenance and termination
- Evaluate risk vs reward of international contracts
- Navigate the most common basic legal issues that arise in procurement/supply chain
- Act in accordance with, and advise their companies on, appropriate moral, ethical and legal standards
- Design a strategy that allows the company to effectively control cost, minimize risk and improve customer satisfaction
- Recommend best practices for importing, shipping and inventory management
Note: For questions regarding this course, please contact SupplyManagement@ucsd.edu.
Course Number: BUSA-40394
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Supply Management
+ Expand All
7/10/2023 - 9/9/2023
This course is entirely web-based and to be completed asynchronously between the published course start and end dates. Synchronous attendance is NOT required.
You will have access to your online course on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
Hill, Stephen, Procurement Specialist, Solar Turbines a Caterpillar Company
As a Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) and Certified Production and Inventory Control Manager (CPIM), Stephen has extensive expertise in strategic sourcing and operations management. He has held Supply Chain Management positions in the high technology aerospace & defense and telecommunications sectors, and has recently consulted as a subject material expert for materials, processes, and software applications.
Stephen attained his bachelor and master's degrees from San Diego State University. Stephen's career highlights include lean implementation at strategic suppliers, reviewing and drafting complex contracts, and negotiating cost savings in excess of $10kk.
Stephen has been an instructor at San Diego State University's Colleg...Read More
No information available at this time.
No refunds after: 7/17/2023.
7/10/2023 - 9/9/2023
You will have access to your course materials on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Business, Professional & Legal Programs department at 858-534-8131 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about when this course will be offered again.