Signals and Systems is an introduction to analog and digital signal processing,
a topic that forms an integral part of engineering systems in many diverse areas, including seismic data processing, communications, speech processing, image processing, defense electronics, consumer electronics, and consumer products.
In this course you will examine signal and systems analysis in continuous and discrete time.
- Discrete-time and Continuous-time Signals and Systems
- Linear Time-invariant LTI Systems Impulse Response and Convolution
- Linear, DT, LTI and CT Systems
- CT Fourier Series and CT Fourier Transform
- Difference/Differential Equations, Block Diagrams, System Functions, Poles and Zeros...
- Sampling of CT Signals for DT Signal Processing & Reconstruction with Filtering (Nyquist Sampling Theorem)
- CT System and Laplace Transform and Transfer Function
- DT System and Z-Transform Transfer Function
- Applications of Signals and Systems in Communication and Control Systems
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Model a system and derive its input/output relationship
- Understand convolution and introductory digital signal processing, including filters, sampling theorem and aliasing
- Gain in depth knowledge about system characteristics including:
- Analysis in time and frequency domains
- Transfer functions poles/zeros analysis
- Acquire skills to control system behavior to achieve the desired response at the system output
Required Software: Matlab and Simulink Student Suite and corresponding text "Matlab with Control System, Signal Processing, and Image Processing Toolboxes." Both available through Mathworks
Course Typically Offered: Online in Fall and Spring quarters.
Prerequisite: Current knowledge of differential and integral calculus, ordinary differential equations, and introductory complex variables required. Students who don't have this prerequisite knowledge should take the course MATH-40017 Introduction to Calculus in order to succeed in this course.
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, consider taking ECE-40016 Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Number: ECE-40051
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Digital Signal Processing, Wireless Engineering
+ Expand All
9/26/2023 - 12/2/2023