Fire protection engineering focuses on ensuring fire and life safety goals are achieved within the buildings we live, work, and visit.
This course will provide students with the fundamental knowledge of fire protection engineering. By the end of this course, students will have gained an understanding of how fire develops and spreads within a building, identify fire safety methods to protect buildings and people from fire and its affects, and understand the intent and basis for modern building and fire codes and standards.
- History and Basis for Fire Prevention
- Fire Science Basics and Fundamentals
- Codes and Standards Introduction
- Fire Risk and Analysis Introduction
- Understanding People in Fire
- Fire Protection Systems Introduction
- Fire Protection Management
- Fundamentals of Performance-Based Design
- Fire Protection Engineering Licensing
- Identify development of fire protection and prevention field over time.
- Recognize fire hazards and risks.
- Predict fire behavior in a building and people in a fire event.
- Implement fire safety and protection measures to buildings that mitigate the risk of fire hazards.
Course Typically Offered: Online during Fall and Spring quarters
Prerequisites: Knowledge of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, physical/engineering sciences, mathematics (calculus through differential equations).
Next steps: Upon completion of this course, consider taking other courses in the Fire Protection Engineering Certificate
More information: Contact email@example.com to learn more about Fire Protection Engineering course offerings.
Course Number: MAE-40037
Credit: 4.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Fire Protection Engineering
+ Expand All
4/4/2023 - 6/10/2023