Organizational Behavior will explore human behavior at the individual, interpersonal, and group levels including effects of organizational structure on behavior. The emphasis will be on managerial roles, historical evolution of management, ethics, and behavior in multi-cultural contexts. This course deals with human behavior in organizations and with practices and methods within organizations that facilitate or hamper effective behavior. Within each topic, conceptual frameworks, case discussions, and skill-oriented activities are blended. Topics include communication, motivation, group dynamics, leadership, power, and organizational design and development. Class assignments are intended to help participants obtain the skills that managers need to improve workplace relationships and performance.
Upon successful completion of this class, students will be able to:
- Explain the influence of personality, values, attitudes, perceptions, and attributions on organizational behavior.
- Describe the motivational process and apply motivational theories to organization scenarios.
- Explain group types, group development, group norms, and group decision making techniques.
- Analyze and apply leadership theories.
- Analyze power bases and influence tactics.
- Identify tactics for handling stress, interpersonal communications, and conflict.
- Describe the characteristics, determinants, & methods of creating and sustaining organizational culture.
- Describe the role of ethics in business actions and decision-making.
- Explain the impact of social perception, diversity management and appreciation of individual differences.
Other Credits: 27 hours of continuing education credit
Note: This course is not open to high school and junior students. Please check the FUTURES Program. which is specifically designed for this audience.
For questions about this course, please contact BizManagement@ucsd.edu.
Course Number: BUSA-40922
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Accounting, Business Management
+ Expand All
6/21/2022 - 8/19/2022