Gain practical knowledge required for understanding, specifying, and designing DSP systems.
Digital signal processors have become indispensable in many engineering disciplines, including electronics, computer, communications, and biomedical engineering. They form the workhorse of media processing, allowing the streaming and storage of high-quality digital audio and video. This course will cover the spectral analysis of discrete-time signals and systems, sampling, IIR/FIR/resampling/adaptive digital filter design and implementation, polyphase filter banks, discrete Fourier and cosine transforms, FFT algorithms, subband coding, noise cancellation, and the latest DSP hardware and software, including the multi-threaded Qualcomm Hexagon DSP architecture, instruction processing, and software kernel. A practical understanding of the mathematical basis of signal processing is developed through design examples, applications, and Matlab demonstrations. The course is geared toward interested hardware and software engineers, and scientists who need to know the fundamental techniques used in the rapidly expanding field of digital signal processing.
- Discrete-time LTI Systems and Discrete Convolution
- Sampling, Quantization, Anti-Aliasing, and Multi-Rate Signal Processing
- Z-transform and Digital Filtering
- Discrete Fourier and Cosine Transforms, Modified DCT (MDCT), and FFT Algorithms
- IIR, FIR, Resampling, Adaptive Filers, and Polyphase Filter Banks
- Subband Coding and Least Mean Square (LMS) Noise Cancellation
- Multi-threaded Qualcomm Hexagon DSP Architecture, Instruction Processing, and Software Kernel
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Analyze Discrete-time Signals and Systems
- Design and Implement Digital Filters
- Compute Signal Spectrum using FFT
- Understand State-of-the-Art DSP Hardware and Software
- Apply DSP Techniques to Practical Systems
Software: Matlab & Simulink Student Version available at Mathworks.
Course Typically Offered: Online in Winter and Summer quarters.
Prerequisite: ECE-40051 Signals and Systems or equivalent knowledge and experience
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, consider taking DSP in Wireless Communication
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com
Course Number: ECE-40016
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Digital Signal Processing
+ Expand All
7/11/2023 - 9/9/2023
This course is entirely web-based and to be completed asynchronously between the published course start and end dates. Synchronous attendance is NOT required.
You will have access to your online course on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
Digital Signal Processing: Fundamentals and Applications - 3rd ed. 3rd
by Tan, Lizhe and Jiang, Jean
ISBN / ASIN: 9780128150719
You may purchase textbooks via the UC San Diego Bookstore.
No refunds after: 7/17/2023.
7/11/2023 - 9/9/2023
You will have access to your course materials on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Science & Technology department at 858-534-3229 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about when this course will be offered again.