Obtain a solid foundation to renewable energy resources
including solar (both photovoltaic and concentrating solar power), wind power and hydro on distribution and transmission power systems. The class will explore the opportunities and challenges of integrating renewable energy sources into the conventional power grids in the USA and globally. It will present lessons learned from such applications from real-life situations.
- Learn the classification and types of hydroelectric plants
- Wind energy
- Wind turbines
- Solar photovoltaics
- Distribution systems from photovoltaic systems
- Smart inverters
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Recognize applications best suited for distributed renewable energy resources
- Identify the merits and challenges in integration distributed renewable energy resources into the power grid in the transmission and distribution system
- Become cognizant in the use of some of the available analytical tools for locating, sizing, and calculations for distributed renewable energy resources
- Perform essential calculations for sizing different distributed energy resources
- Explain state-of-the-art distributed energy resources components and systems
- Know the latest standards of distributed energy resources
- Renewable Energy: power for a Sunstainable Future - 4th edition by Stephen Peake - ISBN13: 978-0198759751
- Power Grid Resilliency for Adverse Conditions by Nicholas A bi-Sambra SINB13: 978-1630810177
Course Typically Offered: Online in Fall and Spring quarters.
Prerequsite: A BS in Electrical Engineering preferred or equivalent knowledge and experience.
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, consider taking other courses in our Power Systems Engineering certificate program.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com.
Course Number: ECE-40284
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Power Systems Engineering
+ Expand All
3/28/2023 - 5/27/2023
This course is entirely web-based and to be completed asynchronously between the published course start and end dates. Synchronous attendance is NOT required.
You will have access to your online course on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
Nicholas (Nick) Abi-Samra has over 35 years of experience in the power and energy field across the whole power systems value chain power generation, transmission, distribution, retail and end-use. Currently, Nick is the president of Electric Power & Energy Consulting (EPEC) and an adjunct professor with UC San Diego.
Abi-Samra has acquired a diverse background in power systems holding high-level positions at various companies including: Senior Vice President - DNV GL (Kema) Vice President - Quanta Technology Senior Manager - Smart Grid Services Senior Technical Executive - Accenture Senior Technical Director - EPRI Manager/Fellow - Westinghouse Electric Corporation Adjunct Professor - Carnegie-Mellon University Abi-Samra's industry honors include: ...Read More
No refunds after: 4/3/2023.
3/28/2023 - 5/27/2023
You will have access to your course materials on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Science & Technology department at 858-534-3229 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about when this course will be offered again.