Copyediting for Fiction (WCWP-40343)
10 Weeks | Online
As a fiction copyeditor, you will be expected to guide the author through a full edit of the manuscript, including working with the author on sentence structure, word choice, consistency, plot holes, timelines, and point of view—all while maintaining the author’s voice. In addition, you’ll often be asked by authors to guide them through the publishing process after editing is done. In this course, you’ll learn how to execute a copyedit of fiction, build and maintain a style sheet, and how to fact-check fiction, all while building and maintaining a collegial relationship with the author.
What you will learn:
- Understand and edit punctuation in fiction
- Understand the levels of editing and different types of editing
- Work with an author on appropriate dialogue
- Handle issues with timelines, plot, and setting
- Point out and fix competing points of view
- Make and maintain style sheets
- Maintain the author’s voice
- Politely and appropriately query the author
- Fact-check fiction
- Learn how to complete sample edits and proposals
- Guide an author through the publishing process
Quarters Offered: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall | Online
- Microsoft Word 2016/Office 365 (PC or Mac) or higher required.
- Working knowlege of Microsoft Word and Track Changes
- Native-level fluency with English
- Ability to write clear, logical, and grammatically correct sentences
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com.
Note: This online course is not self-paced. There are assignments and readings with weekly due dates. Please purchase textbooks before class begins.
Course Number: WCWP-40343
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Copyediting
+ Expand All
1/8/2024 - 3/16/2024