by Amy Patterson, Program Director
After two years, our Osher program will be returning to campus and holding daily classes in person for our members starting April 4, 2022. We are excited to bring our community back together but do have some logistical matters to tackle. New parking permit systems are in place and, most importantly, we will prioritize our efforts to comply with all university-mandated COVID-19 safety protocols. We will work together to make sure that our are members as safe as possible when we return to campus. The Osher leadership has already taken some steps to ensure that we are ready to safely return to campus in 2022:
1. In compliance with current CDC recommendations re: Covid-19, the air circulation system in our classrooms has been assessed and all filters have been replaced with MER13 filters for maximum particle filtration.
2. We will install air purifiers in each classroom, which come recommended by our campus department of Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S), per their current Covid-19 policies.
3. We purchased and installed a CO2 monitor in our larger classroom (room 129). This monitor comes recommended by EH&S and an expert technician determined the most effective place to install the device. A campus expert will assess the results of the monitor and the general air circulation in our rooms specifically as it relates to CO2.
4. We have multiple doors and windows in our classrooms that we will opt to leave open to allow for additional airflow and ventilation.
5. KN95 face masks will be available at the Osher office as needed.
6. Hand sanitizer stations have been installed throughout the Extension complex and in the Osher building.
Additionally, our program will follow all UC San Diego Covid-19 safety policies and guidance, which include the following:
1. Full Covid-19 vaccination, which requires a booster shot, (or approved exemption) is required for all UCSD faculty, staff, and students before attending classes or activities on campus. All registered members of our Osher program must comply with this mandate. All Osher members must submit proof of vaccination through UCSD Extension –– specific steps for this process will be detailed on our website and in upcoming communications to all current and new members.
2. All Osher members attending classes in person, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear masks indoors at all times while on campus. Unvaccinated individuals must also wear masks while outdoors.
3. Per the UCSD Return to Learn website: “All unvaccinated individuals are required to test twice weekly, between three and five days apart. Weekly testing is recommended for fully vaccinated students and campus employees. And all individuals regardless of vaccination status who develop symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should test. Access to COVID-19 testing is available through self-administered kits retrieved from campus vending machines (no appointment needed); provider-observed self-administered testing at Price Center (appointment needed); or provideradministered testing via drive thru (appointment needed).”
4. Each member must complete a PCR Covid-19 test on the first day they return to campus. This can be completed through UCSD or at your own medical provider.
Finally, there is a new process for purchasing and displaying parking permits. The UCSD parking office no longer has a physical location so all transactions will take place online or via the ParkMobile phone application. Osher members are still eligible for the faculty level “A” permits, which can be purchased daily via the ParkMobile app (instructions to download and use the app found here: https://transportation.ucsd.edu/commute/pay-by-app.html
); alternatively physical permits can be purchased in advance on specified dates when they will be sold at the Osher building (to be announced). Detailed procedures on how to use the ParkMobile app will be coming soon.
While there are many new processes and logistics to consider, we know that it will be worth it to get the UCSD Osher community back together. This transition period may have some challenges but we are confident that we will be successful as we get back to our on-campus program. We look forward to welcoming you in April 2022.
For more information on UCSD Covid-19 policies please visit https://returntolearn.ucsd.edu/