Project Cost Management covers the financial strategies and cost management best practices for successful projects with an emphasis on estimating, budgeting, and cost control. Concepts and tools are studied and applied in practical course work, including group projects. Topics include the role of cost management in project initiation, project cost management planning, project budget development, project cost control, and project financing. The course culminates with an examination of case studies of real projects demonstrating a variety of cost management principles.
During this course, participants will learn to:
- Develop an overall understanding of project cost management.
- Analyze project goals and select appropriate estimation approaches for a point of time in a project.
- Prepare a cost estimate for all project costs, including contingency and management reserves.
- Evaluate types of project costs necessary to draw up a complete cost estimate, and determine the accounting category of each, such as direct, indirect, and capital costs.
- Use project cost estimates and other information to construct a necessary project budget.
- Apply best practices for project cost control and recommend project corrective actions to ensure project cost objectives are met.
- Apply basic Earned Value Management techniques to assess the project progress with respect to scope, cost, and schedule.
- Apply basic Earned Value Management techniques to forecast revised costs.
- Develop a basic understanding of project financing and cash flow management.
: Students should complete Project Management Essentials
or Project Management Boot Camp
before enrolling in this course. Individual exceptions can be made based on previous experience and knowledge. Please contact email@example.com request an exception.
Other Credits: 18 hours of continuing education credit
Note: Students should complete Project Management Essentials or Project Management Boot Camp before enrolling in this course.
Course Number: BUSA-40970
Credit: 2.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Project Management
+ Expand All
7/31/2023 - 9/9/2023
This course is entirely web-based and to be completed asynchronously between the published course start and end dates. Synchronous attendance is NOT required.
You will have access to your online course on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
Frohnhoefer, Ray, Managing Partner, PPC Group, LLC
Ray W. Frohnhoefer is an executive with strong project management skills, a methodologist, and a creative inventor and entrepreneur. His key leadership qualities have enabled him to save companies millions of dollars by efficiently making complex decisions and getting things done, even under pressure. His mission is to improve the practice of project management. Frohnhoefer is an active PMI member and volunteer with specialties in project, program and portfolio management; strategic planning; methodology and framework development; requirements and product development; PM maturity assessment; and business process improvement.
No refunds after: 8/7/2023.
7/31/2023 - 9/9/2023
You will have access to your course materials on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Business, Professional & Legal Programs department at 858-534-8131 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about when this course will be offered again.