Discover the synergy of city planning and sustainability.
In this class, students will examine successful ancient cities as well as modern cities of the world using Google Earth and maps as a virtual tour to understand why some cities flourish and others collapse. After learning about the obstacles cities face in order to become sustainable, students will devise a city plan of their own using sketches and free software. This class will focus on architecture, functional urban areas, healthy neighborhoods, transportation, waste, energy and water sources. This generation has a challenge to create a sustainable future for themselves. Are you up to the challenge?
What You Will Learn
Students enrolled in this course will:
Return to the Sally Ride Science online professional website here.
- Learn about sustainability and urban areas
- Explore ancient cities
- Research population dynamics of a changing world
- Explore geographic features of both ancient and modern cities
- Focus on the impact of “smart cities”
- Look at case studies and critique architecture and city planning
- Design their own city using free software
Note: Upon successful enrollment of a section, students will receive a confirmation email from our Student Services team. This email will include a link to an authorization form that is required to be completed within 72-hours of enrollment.
Course Number: ARCH-90009
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/29/2024 - 8/2/2024