During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Investigate Earth Science with Messy Experiments
Ready to get messy in the name of science? We will design things, test things, throw things and stomp on things while exploring fascinating phenomena in Earth science.
Students will conduct messy and noisy experiments as they investigate glaciers, volcanoes, earthquakes, landslides, permafrost, sea level rise and tsunamis. We will make slime-like “flubber” to model glacier movement and create a landscape in a box to simulate the destructive power of earthquakes and tsunamis. Students will also observe lava flow in a volcano fueled by baking soda and vinegar. These and other fun, hands-on experiments provide an engaging introduction to geology, seismology, oceanography and other branches of Earth science.
What You Will Learn
- Gain a basic understanding of a variety of phenomena in Earth science
- Model the movement of glaciers using “flubber”
- Use water and ice to simulate ice-ocean interactions
- Create a landscape in a box and then model the effects of earthquakes and tsunamis
- Construct a volcano and cause an eruption by combining baking soda and vinegar
- Learn about the forces that cause landslides
- Investigate how sea level rise affects salinity
Note: During the first week of Junior Academy, this class is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July holiday.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
Course Number: SCI-90003
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Pre-College Programs department at 858-534-0804 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about when this course will be offered again.