Achieving Excellence Through Continuous Improvement
Join This Hands-On In-Person Workshop in San Diego on Friday, September 29, 2023
Kaizen, a Japanese term meaning "change to improve” or “change for the better”, is an integral part of the Toyota Production System (TPS) and a fundamental principle of Lean management.
Kaizen embodies the philosophy of continuous improvement within an organization and emphasizes the daily, systematic pursuit of small, incremental changes in all aspects of an organization's processes, systems, and culture. Kaizen engages collaborators at all levels in actively participating in identifying and implementing small, regular improvements to eliminate waste (therefore increasing process efficiency and efficacy), improve quality and improve safety in every area of the workplace; resulting also in higher customer satisfaction.
By the end of the course participants will be prepared to:
- Foster a Kaizen culture, and understand how to facilitate employee engagement, lead improvement initiatives, and create an environment that fosters continuous improvement
- Explain the Kaizen philosophy, including the principles of "everyday / everywhere / everyone" and the impact of small, incremental changes over time
- Implement a Kaizen proposal system, including problem identification, root cause analysis, proposal submission, change implementation, standardization, evaluation, and recognition
- Speak to successful applications of Kaizen in various industries, and share best practices, lessons learned, and practical tips for developing a Kaizen culture
- Design incentive programs, foster employee engagement, and create systems that support the practice of continuous improvement across the organization
Earn a verifiable digital credential
Who Should Attend
- All managers and leaders, including executives, department heads, and team leaders
- Those responsible for managing or facilitating continuous improvement initiatives
- Change agents and HR professionals involved in change management and organizational development
Attendees from all industries are welcome, and prior knowledge of Lean principles is beneficial but not required.
Meet Your Instructor
Sammy Obara is a seasoned professional with expertise in Lean and Toyota Production System (TPS). Over the course of four decades, he has successfully introduced, guided and applied Lean practices in various organizations and cultures.
Sammy's personal Lean journey began at Toyota facilities in Japan, Brazil, Venezuela, and the United States. Through immersive hands-on experiences, he gained a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles of TPS/Lean. Today, he serves as a trusted mentor, coach, and trainer, sharing his knowledge with esteemed Lean consulting firms, renowned educational institutions, and even engaging in humanitarian missions across Asia, Africa, and South America.
Location & Logistics
UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies
University City Center
6256 Greenwich Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
View Map (PDF)
- A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided
- Parking is available at no cost
Lean Six Sigma Program Manager, Angela Miller
📅 Schedule a Phone Appointment or email: ProcessPrograms@ucsd.edu
Course Number: BUSA-80057
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Lean Six Sigma Green and Black Belt
+ Expand All
9/29/2023 - 9/29/2023