A "Systems Thinking" methodology adds a new and powerful set of analysis tools
to the systems engineer’s product development toolkit. Looking at a system as the sum of its parts working together, as opposed to a typical linear process, best describes the core principle of Systems Thinking. Understanding the relationship between “Events, Patterns and Structures” provides the systems engineer with an approach that improves and expands the product development and problem solution arena. You will learn the significance of systems thinking through lecture and "hands-on" assignments designed to reinforce the core set of analysis tools provided in this course.
- Definition and application of the systems thinking process
- Understanding the application of a systemic solution space
- Developing and applying customer requirements to your solution space
- Understanding the relationship between growth and balancing structures
- Understanding the relationship between competitive and cooperative structures
- Learn the process of identifying and using a system’s high leverage point
- Understanding the relationship with classical control theory methodology
- Understanding how today’s solutions become tomorrow’s problems
- Learn how to recognize problems before they become problems
- Highly interactive course
- Learning is enhanced with relevant case studies
Course Learning Outcomes:
- The Systems Thinking tools will significantly improve your ability to identify, analyze and determine system solutions that satisfy program objectives
- Your improved understanding of system components working together will expand your solution space beyond the standard liner systems engineering approach
- You will learn a powerful critical thinking methodology that can be applied equally to technical, political, social, and global systems
Course Typically Offered: Online in Fall and Spring quarters.
Next Step: After completing this course, consider taking other courses in the Systems Engineering certificate program to continue learning.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Number: MAE-40017
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Systems Engineering
+ Expand All
3/28/2023 - 5/27/2023
This course is entirely web-based and to be completed asynchronously between the published course start and end dates. Synchronous attendance is NOT required.
You will have access to your online course on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
Genna, Anthony, System Design Engineer
Tony's 30+ years of experience at General Electric, Boeing, and the Hughes Aircraft Company included Program Manager, Proposal Manager, and Technical Director. Related management activities were comprised of internal program startup, customer contacts, generating proposal win strategies, design to cost options, proposal team selection, generating statements of work, product development, delivery, test, validation, and coordination for the customer's final buy-off activity. The most enlightening experience in Tony's career was understanding the importance of test and evaluation in the final acceptance testing performed by the customer.
No refunds after: 4/3/2023.
3/28/2023 - 5/27/2023
You will have access to your course materials on the published start date OR 1 business day after your enrollment is confirmed if you enroll on or after the published start date.
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Science & Technology department at 858-534-3229 or email@example.com for information about when this course will be offered again.