Combine photography, dialogue, photo exhibits, and social action to address issues you care about!
Photography can be a powerful tool for giving voice to the voiceless and shedding light on local concerns from local perspectives. That said, photovoice combines photography, dialogue, photo exhibits, and social action to address issues you care about. In this course, students will learn how to identify community issues and how to use photography to tell a story about those issues and to also inform others. Students will discuss numerous case studies of photovoice projects from around the world to begin thinking about communities and possible actions for social change.
What You Will Learn
Students in Elementary School: Photovoices will:
Return to the Sally Ride Science website here.
- Explore how digital media is used
- Join participatory action research
- Review case studies of photovoice and other arts-based community projects
- Recognize the importance of representation, knowledge production and social action in community life
- Learn about digital photography and basic photographic skills such as composition, lighting, and focus
- Focus on cultural representation
- Practice presentation skills
Course Number: ART-90083
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/8/2024 - 7/12/2024
7/29/2024 - 8/2/2024