Write effective essays for college and university writing prompts and research specific colleges, universities and programs for supplemental essays.
Students will be exposed to the skills necessary for personal essay writing, and they will use those skills to draft, edit and complete essays for the UC Personal Insight questions, and based on student interest and need, the Common Application essay prompts. In addition, students will learn the research and writing skills necessary to complete supplementary essay questions for specific colleges, universities, and programs. Students can use these skills to write admissions essays for colleges and universities that do not use the Personal Insight Questions or Common Application prompts. Instruction will focus on college admissions essay writing as a process that includes reading the essay questions carefully, drafting and editing drafts of essays tailored to the essay questions, learning to self-edit final drafts for common grammar and usage issues, and acquiring skills necessary to perform research on college and university websites for supplementary questions.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the skills necessary to analyze and break down essay prompts before writing.
- Implement pre-writing strategies such as brainstorming and outlining.
- Apply the skills of personal essay writing to draft and assess their own essays for effectiveness and relevance to essay prompts.
- Use research skills necessary to write supplementary essays for specific programs, colleges, and universities.
- Edit final drafts for basic grammar and usage issues, including syntax (verb tense and comma splices) and diction (varying word choice).
How to Write an Essay: Podcast
Return to the Test Prep website here.
Note: Cancellation policy: Student’s must provide 24 hours’ notice if they intend to cancel a session via email (email@example.com). Failure to do so will result in the session counting towards the total number of sessions that have been prepaid for.
Upon successful enrollment, the student will be contacted by the instructor via email to set up the course schedule.
Course Number: WCWP-90002
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
1/3/2024 - 3/24/2024
3/25/2024 - 6/14/2024