Identify And Review The Building Features That Make A Building Safer From Fire.
There are many considerations that go into designing a building including the features that make it safer from fire. Building codes specify the minimum requirements needed to ensure the quality and safety of building structures. These codes also help safeguard the occupants by enforcing life safety features of buildings.
This course will give students the knowledge to ensure applicable and cost-effective protection measures of life and property from fire are applied. Participants will navigate the most current building and fire codes in the industry, determine how people behave in fire, apply the applicable protection measures for buildings, and understand building evacuation and human tenability conditions. Assignments will focus and use real-world examples and industry references.
- Fire statistics
- Overview of building and fire codes
- Occupancies classifications and use for buildings
- Construction types and limitations
- Means of egress
- Active and passive fire protection systems as required in buildings
- Structural fire protection
- Human Behavior in Fire
- Fire test standards
- Navigate current industry building and fire codes.
- Understand and apply the difference in building code requirements for the types of buildings.
- Design egress systems ensuring the safety of people exiting a building in a fire event.
- Determine if building designs are providing adequate levels of safety from fire.
Software: PDF viewer with mark-up capabilities or similar software is required for the course.
Course Typically Offered: Online during Winter and Summer quarter
Prerequisites: Students should have knowledge of heat transfer.
Next steps: Upon completion of this course, consider taking other courses in the Fire Protection Engineering Certificate
More information: Contact email@example.com to learn more about RF Engineering and course offerings.
Course Number: MAE-40039
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Fire Protection Engineering
+ Expand All
7/5/2022 - 9/3/2022