Brion Hurley is a Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt at Business Performance Improvement (BPI). He teaches Lean and Six Sigma classes, facilitates workshops and events, performs statistical analysis, and mentors employees through improvement efforts. He is focused on teaching Lean and Six Sigma concepts to sustainable businesses, to help them reduce their impact on the environment. He also volunteers his time with local nonprofits, and is the author of the “Lean Six Sigma for Good” book series.
Prior to BPI, he spent 18 years at Rockwell Collins as a Lean Six Sigma consultant, implementing Lean and Six Sigma at three different locations (Iowa, Florida and Oregon), and worked with different departments such as Finance, Sales, Research and Development, Operations, International Service and Support, Environment, Safety and Health, Facilities and Human Resources. He also led corporate sustainability teams to reduce electricity usage and solid waste, and helped people connect process improvement concepts with sustainability. He left Rockwell Collins to start his own consulting business in 2017.
Why He Loves Teaching
"The first step to improvement is making people aware of methods and techniques that can help them improve, and teaching is a key part of that introduction. If I can connect with the students in a way that gets them excited and motivated, then I can get them started on becoming a lifelong learner. My biggest reward is having past students say that I influenced them, and now they're applying process improvement regularly as part of their job or in a full-time capacity as an internal or external consultant."
- B.S., Statistics, University of Iowa
- M.S., Quality Management and Productivity, University of Iowa
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt and Certified Quality Engineer, American Society of Quality
- Rockwell Collins Lean Principal and Lean Masters Certification
- SME Green Manufacturing Specialist Certificate
- Senior Certified Sustainability Professional
- Certificate of Sustainability, University of Iowa
- Certified Master Black Belt of Six Sigma Methodology from 6sigma.us
- USZWBC Zero Waste Business Associate (ZWBA) Certificate (now TRUE Advisor)