During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Discover How Nature Benefits Your Brain and Body
A growing body of research shows that spending time outdoors benefits us physically, emotionally and mentally. Explore the science behind these benefits and learn how to get more nature into your day-to-day life.
The average person is awake for 16 hours a day but only spends two of those hours outdoors. We will look at what
research tells us about how spending time in nature affects our brains and our bodies. Students will learn how much outdoor time is needed to experience positive effects. We will also look at how to overcome barriers to spending time outdoors and survey great nature spots to visit in San Diego County.
What You Will Learn
- Learn about how spending time in nature benefits the body
- Gain an introductory understanding of how time in nature affects the brain and cognitive functioning
- Consider the barriers to spending time outdoors and ways to overcome them, including access, awareness and technology
- Discover natural spots to visit in San Diego County and how to take advantage of them
- Explore nature-based activities and learn tips and tricks for backcountry adventuring
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
Course Number: BIOL-90031
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Pre-College Programs department at 858-534-0804 or email@example.com for information about when this course will be offered again.