During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Cultivate Wellness in the Digital Age
Living in a digital age with technology all around us has many benefits but also creates serious challenges to our well- being. Learn how to set healthy boundaries on your use of electronic devices while also cultivating practices that promote wellness.
We will look at what research shows about the negative effects of too much technology use. For one thing, our
dependence on devices is causing us to spend more time indoors and less time in nature than ever before. Students will learn how spending time in nature provides an effective counterbalance to increased screen time and tech use. We will also look at the benefits of cultivating mindfulness and a growth mindset and of making time for play. Finally, we will consider how to incorporate these practices into our daily lives.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Survey what research shows about the negative effects of overusing technology
- Regain control of the tech/media in their lives by setting healthy boundaries
- Learn how to practice mindfulness and live more intentionally
- Learn to cultivate a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset
- Discover the benefits of daily play
- Look at the research showing the benefits of spending time in nature
- Learn how to use time in nature to counterbalance increased screen time
Course Number: SOC-90012
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)