Get Psyched about Psychology
Take on the role of psychologist to unravel the mysteries of human behavior during this fascinating overview of the field of psychology.
Through group projects and hands-on activities, we will explore dreams, personality, memory, brain anatomy and other central topics in the field. Students will make and analyze their own inkblots, build and label clay brains, create optical illusions and keep dream journals. We will learn about the different branches of psychology and also explore the theories of Freud, Maslow and other influential figures. The course will give students a good base of knowledge to move on in the study of psychology and to begin thinking about careers in the field.
What You Will Learn
Get totally psyched about psychology as you uncover the mysteries of human behavior by exploring dreams, perception, personality, brain anatomy and more.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Become familiar with the idea of psychology as the study of behavior
- Gain a basic knowledge of what social psychology, developmental psychology, personality psychology and perceptual psychology entail
- Learn to identify the four major lobes of the brain
- Gain an understanding of how our brains are tricked during optical illusions
- Learn the difference between short-term and long-term memory
- Learn the basics of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and personality theories including Freud’s psychoanalytic theory and the “Big Five” theory
Note: Upon successful enrollment of a section, students will receive a confirmation email from our Student Services team. This email will include a link to an authorization form that is required to be completed within 72-hours of enrollment.
In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured our in-person Junior Academy workshops as
online courses. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Course Number: PSYC-90007
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)