In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured most of our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. This in-person workshop has been canceled and will not be offered as an online course. Please see our available online courses to find other topics that may interest you. If you have registered for this course, you will receive a refund. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Explore the Edible Science of Cooking and Nutrition
Knowing how to cook healthy meals is a key life skill that will pay dividends for decades to come. Learn about nutrition, ingredient labels and food science as you experiment with cooking techniques from around the world.
Students will use their prior knowledge of mathematics for measuring and mixing ingredients as they learn the basics of cooking. We will explore recipes from around the world and connect different cultures to different cooking styles. Students will learn about good nutrition and choosing ingredients. Through science experiments, we will uncover hidden and harmful ingredients in different foods and learn the importance of reading labels on packaged foods. At the end of this course, students will be able to make simple, healthy meals for themselves.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Gain a basic understanding of how to care for their bodies through healthy nutrition
- Explore different cooking styles and techniques by following recipes from around the world
- Learn to make simple meals for themselves
- Gain an understanding of the importance of reading labels on packaged foods
- Track their nutrition, water intake, sleep patterns and exercise for a week to learn about the importance of healthy habits
Course Number: WKSP-90100
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
There are no sections of this course currently scheduled. Please contact the Pre-College Programs department at 858-534-0804 or email@example.com for information about when this course will be offered again.