Explore our science workshops and seminars covering current topics lead by academics and industry leaders. Benefit from networking opportunities prior to and at the close of each event.
Science Seminar Series
The science seminar series consists of half-day workshops. Take a deeper dive on topics that are important to the state of the industry in a variety of science topics.
The sessions are scheduled throughout the year at our UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies, University City Center location.
- Learn from accomplished academics and industry experts from prestigious universities and companies.
- Chance to network with these experts and others interested or working in the industry
- Six-hour sessions designed to develop the the knowledge and remain current on trending science topics.
- Convenient Friday sessions
- Seminars only cost $25
- All sessions come with complimentary refreshments, a light meal, and (FREE!) parking
EFFECTIVE VACCINE DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES FOR VIRAL DISEASES
Friday, September 20, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
The workshop focuses on the current state of vaccine development for the Dengue, Zika, and Chikungunya viruses. All three viruses are carried and transmitted by mosquitoes and at this stage do not have vaccines that can protect the population from their ill effects.
- 8:00 am-8:45 am: Registration and Breakfast
- 8:45 am-10:30 am: Development of Vaccines against Chikungunya Virus, a Global Emerging Pathogen, Jonathan Smith, Ph.D., Clear Path Vaccines
- 9:30 am-10:15 am: Successes and Challenges in the Development of an Effective Vaccine against Dengue, Amitabh Gaur, Ph. D., George Washington University
- 10:15 am- 0:30 am: Coffee Break
- 10:30 am-11:15 am: T Cell Immunity to Zika and Dengue Viruses: New Insights in Vaccine Development, Annie Elong Ngono, Ph.D., Center for Infectious Diseases, La Jolla Institute for Immunology
- 11:15 am - 12:00 pm: Human T cell Responses to Dengue Virus and it’s Implication for Vaccine Design, Daniela Weiskopf, Ph.D., Center for Infectious Diseases, La Jolla Institute for Immunology
- 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm: Identification of Small Chemical Compounds Inhibiting Zika virus Through a Large-Scale High-Content Screening Approach, Laura Riva, Ph.D., Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- 12:30 pm-1:00 pm: Panel discussion
- 1:00 pm-2:00 pm: Lunch and Networking
CANCER IMMUNOTHERAPY SEMINAR
Friday, November 15, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
The proposed workshop will focus on the health economics of cancer and its treatment; the number of clinical trials being undertaken by academic and commercial organizations; emergence of CAR-T cell therapy and its combination with immune checkpoint inhibitors as a potent tool for developing novel strategies for the treatment of cancer.