Test Preparation - TOEFL or IELTS
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who would like to focus on preparing for the TOEFL or IELTS exams will benefit from the Test Preparation - TOEFL or IELTS program. The Test Preparation Program focuses its coursework on introducing and refining the specific skills students need to prepare for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Courses will rotate depending on student enrollment and interest.
Students with high-intermediate to advanced levels of English proficiency (levels 4 - 8) are welcome to apply to this course. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Intensive IELTS Preparation. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation. Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will be transferred to the Academic English or Communication and Culture program.
- January 4 - March 3
- March 13 - May 12
- May 22 - July 21
- July 31 - September 29
- October 9 - December 8
View a complete list of all program dates.
All programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken. Acceptance deadline is 3 weeks before the program start-date.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Test Preparation - TOEFL or IELTS program.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is in-person orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- 9 hours of Integrated Skills per week
- 6 hours of Reading and Writing per week
Students choose either IELTS or TOEFL preparation courses.
- 10 hours per week of IELTS preparation courses that focus on the following skills:
- IELTS Speaking and Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening
- IELTS Reading
- IELTS Writing
- 10 hours per week of TOEFL preparation courses that focus on the following skills:
- TOEFL Reading and Vocabulary
- TOEFL Speaking and Listening
- TOEFL Writing Preparation
Note: The English Language Institute reserves the right to alter the courses in the Test Preparation program depending on enrollments and needs of the students and programs.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application fee: $175
- Tuition: $3,900
- International Student Services fee: $400
- UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies medical insurance: $550
- Books/Materials: $250 - $400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Programs You May Also Like:
For a complete list of all programs, please visit our Courses and Programs page.